Intentional Walk: New Biography Explores the Life, Career and Faith of One of Our Generation's Greatest Athletes - the St. Louis Cardinals' Albert Pujols
As Albert Pujols enters into contract negotiations that could make him the highest-paid athlete in the history of sports, a new biography explores the life and profound faith of one of our generation's greatest athletes
"Baseball is simply a platform to elevate Jesus Christ - my Lord and Savior." -- Albert Pujols
Contact: Jason Jones, Thomas Nelson Publishers, 615-306-8627, firstname.lastname@example.org
NASHVILLE, Feb. 3, 2011 /Christian Newswire/ -- After only ten seasons, the St. Louis Cardinals' Albert Pujols is, undoubtedly, already one of the greatest players to have ever laced up a pair of spikes. But when adulation and glory come his way, Pujols is quick to credit another -- to point people to his hero. "At the end of the day," he says, "as long as I glorify Him, and those 45,000 people know who I represent ... that's what it's about. It's about representing God."
In Pujols: More Than the Game (Thomas Nelson Publishers, Feb. 2011) -- the first full-length biography on the future Hall of Famer - authors Tim Ellsworth and Scott Lamb will satisfy fans who like their baseball slathered in stats and stories ... while at the same time, shining a light on the faith of one of the world's greatest athletes.
In the book, Ellsworth and Lamb explore:
- Pujols' early life as a child in the impoverished Domincan boro of Villa Mella, his mother not a part of his life, his father an alcoholic whom he regularly hoisted upon his already sizeable shoulders to drag home.
- His teenage years, including how he and his family settled in Independence, Missouri and accounts from those who first saw him do what he does best
- His high school, junior college and early minor league career -- as well as the first ten years of his major league career, which is, arguably, the greatest in the history of baseball
- His take on the steroid era in baseball and the false reports that linked him to performance-enhancing drugs in 2007. Including twenty reasons that Pujols was never and will never be connected to PEDs.
- His unmovable faith and the role it has played and continues to play in his life
- His philanthropic efforts, especially the Pujols Family Foundation, which supports children with Down syndrome and the impoverished in the Dominican Republic.
Endorsements include those from former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee, Cardinal players, broadcasters and beat writers and Marvin Olasky, Editor-in-Chief of WORLD Magazine, among others:
"One of the challenges that come with watching from the press box and writing the first drafts of a legend is being able to chronicle his feats while still capturing the complexities of Albert Pujols, the greatest hitter of his generation. Scott Lamb and Tim Ellsworth are able to do both, peeking behind the box scores, scraping beneath the statistics, and illuminating not just what drives Pujols in the batter's box, but what inspires him beyond it."
-- Derrick Goold
Baseball writer, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
"...One thing about Pujols -- he matches in his personal life the excellence that he demonstrates on the diamond. You will love this book..."
-- Mike Huckabee
44th Governor of Arkansas
Former Republican presidential candidate
Host of Fox News' Huckabee Show
"As a part of the great tradition of St. Louis Cardinals baseball, it is very gratifying to me to see a man of Albert's character enjoy the success that he has achieved. Leadership comes in many forms, but the constant quality that all great leaders possess is an unwavering dedication to personal values. The fact that Albert's Christian witness is such a visible part of his life, both on and off the field, has made him a wonderful model for fans of all ages to follow. His dedication to his craft and to God makes him the ultimate Hall of Famer."
St. Louis Cardinals' second baseman (1979-1988)
"...Lamb and Ellsworth lucidly describe both the season-by-season baseball exploits of Pujols and the impact he's having on some lives for eternity."
-- Marvin Olasky
Editor-in-Chief, WORLD Magazine
NOTE: Authors Tim Ellsworth and Scott Lamb are available for interviews. Albert Pujols will NOT be available for interviews.