Having already reached hundreds of thousands of Americans, the awareness campaign ends by highlighting violence to women with testimonials from ex-porn stars and victims
Contact: Lesley Bateman, 813-849-0076 ext. 106
WASHINGTON, August 1, 2011 /Christian Newswire
/ -- Violence against women is now a common byproduct of the consumption of pornography, a topic that will be addressed during the final week of Morality in Media's "Be Aware
: PORN HARMS" National Awareness Campaign.
"Today's porn producers are featuring violence due to its popularity among consumers," said Dawn Hawkins, Morality in Media's executive director. "Spousal violence is also one of our greatest concerns – the husband consuming violent porn and then living out the pornographic scenes in his marriage."
Morality in Media's President, Patrick A. Trueman noted that the lust for violence is now documented by recent medical studies. The brain science behind pornography now clearly demonstrates that the excitement factor for porn wears off soon and the consumer moves to harder, more deviant material to gain the same excitement that "softer" material once supplied.
"Internet pornography consumers are essentially training their brains to demand violence, because the images available are unimaginably depraved and violent. By not putting a stop to this illegal pornography available on the Internet, our country is creating a culture of violence for today's woman," said Trueman.
"Even life in the pornography industry is filled with violence for many women," said Hawkins. " Many of these porn actress that millions watch from their computer screens have been coerced, beaten, or drugged to perform some of the most degrading acts on tape." Shelley Lubben will discuss this aspect on Thursday as she shares from her days as a porn star.
This week's schedule of live online events includes:
· Tuesday, August 2 - 4 pm EDT- Live Online/Facebook Event: Straight Talk-Porn's real effect on relationships and attitudes towards women with pornography addiction expert, speaker and life coach, Tony Litster.
· Tuesday, August 2 - 9 pm EDT- Live Webinar Event: Standing with the trucking industry in the fight against the sex industry with Transport For Christ.
· Wednesday, August 3 at 4 pm EDT- Live Online/Facebook Event: Former porn stars expose the truth and violence behind the porn industry with the Pink Cross Foundation.
· Thursday, August 4 at 4 pm EDT- Online/Facebook Movie Screening: Out of the Darkness: The incredible true story of Shelley Lubben and her escape from a life in the pornography industry.
· Friday, August 5 at 3 pm EDT- Live Online/Facebook Event: Porn's Harms to Beauty and Healthy Sexuality with body image experts, Beauty Redefined.
Events from previous weeks of the Be Aware
campaign can be viewed on MIM's YouTube channel. www.youtube.com/user/PornHarms
. Morality in Media will continue to help addicts and their families by offering free counseling and subscriptions to Web protection services this week. Visit www.pornharms.com/beaware
for more information and to access free posters.
About Morality in Media
Morality in Media, Inc., is the leading national organization focused on opposing pornography and indecency through public education and the application of the law. MIM is leading The War on Illegal Pornography, a coalition of more than 100 national and state groups whose goal is to stop the distribution of illegal pornography. For more information visit www.waronillegalpornography.com, www.pornharms.com, and www.moralityinmedia.org.