Therapy Group Launches Web Resource of Practical Helps for Same-Sex Attracted LDS Members, Leaders, Family and Friends
Contact: David Matheson, Center for Gender Wholeness, 801-272-3200
SALT LAKE CITY, March 29, 2013 /Christian Newswire/ -- What counsel does a Mormon bishop give a man or woman with same-sex attraction? How can LDS parents with gay or lesbian children really help? Or what hope does the wife of a man with same-sex attraction have for her marriage?
Building on the breakthrough mormonsandgays.org Web site launched by the LDS Church in December 2012, a Salt Lake City-based therapy clinic has launched a new Web-based resource, www.genderwholeness.com/lds, to address these kinds of concerns for LDS leaders, family and friends of those with same-sex attraction. The new Web site is sponsored by the Center for Gender Wholeness (CGW), a clinic whose therapists work worldwide with those who have unwanted same-sex attraction. Their past clients include hundreds of men who have reported substantial shifts, not only in sexual behavior, but also in sexual attractions. They report their success seems to come from resolving underlying issues that led to the homosexual attractions.
CGW Clinical Director David Matheson, a Clinical Mental Health Counselor and lifelong LDS Church member, said that, within the church he is noticing more acceptance of homosexuality as an unchangeable condition to be managed, at best, and less discussion about the possibility of shifting sexual desires by addressing underlying causes.
"We are extremely encouraged by the church's new Web site and the outpouring of love and support it represents," Matheson said. "I believe it fosters understanding and compassion among the general membership and hope for those with same-sex attraction." At the same time, Matheson said, "there appears to be very little practical information to help people who want to make effective and lasting changes in their lives." Matheson expressed concern that "hope only lasts so long if real help isn't available."
The new genderwholeness.com/lds Web site includes:
- an expansive section on how homosexuality seems to develop, including comments from well known experts on the topic of sexual orientation.
- descriptions of the therapeutic approach that is helping men resolve issues underlying their same-sex attractions, and thereby often diminish the attractions themselves.
- statistics suggesting how many people in a congregation may be experiencing same-sex
- a discussion of the kinds of other issues people with SSA often face, such as depression, anxiety, and shame.
- an extensive reference of scripture and writings of LDS leaders on the subject of same-sex attraction.