Week of events will highlight family protection and educating young people
Contact: Lesley Bateman, 813-849-0076 ext. 106
"Many children are getting addicted to pornography because U.S. pornographers are providing free, obscene, illegal porn to kids online. Sadly, U. S. Attorney General Eric Holder refuses to enforce federal obscenity laws which would protect children," said President of Morality in Media Patrick Trueman. "The average age in which children first view pornographic material is 11 years old and for many it is earlier," Trueman added.
"This week's events focus on one of the most disturbing aspects of pornography," said Dawn Hawkins, MIM's Executive Director and director of the Be Aware: PORN HARMS campaign. "Many child pornographers start with an interest in soft-core adult pornography, but over time turn to harder, more deviant porn and this leads the way to child pornography and molestation."
Each week of the campaign emphasizes a specific way pornography proves itself to be detrimental: pornography addiction, harms to children, links to sex trafficking and violence against women, respectively.
Activities for this week include:
· Monday, July 18th at 4 p.m. EDT: Live Facebook/Online Event: "Adult Porn Makes Victims Of Our Children: Creates predators, leads to demand for child porn, stunts social development "
· Tuesday, July 19th at 4 p.m. EDT: Webinar: "5 Hidden Dangers Facing You And Your Family Right Now"
· Tuesday, July 19th at 4 p.m. EDT: Conference Call: "Our children in a sexualized society: how to understand their experience and how to help"
· Tuesday, July 19th at 8 p.m. EDT: Webinar: "Simple Tools to Protect Your Family"
· Wednesday, July 20th at 3:30 p.m. EDT: Live Facebook/Online Event: "Protecting Children Online: Know the pornographers' tricks!"
· Wednesday, July 20th at 9 p.m. EDT: Live Facebook/Online Event: "How to educate young people on the harmful effects of pornography"
Thursday, July 21 and Sunday, July 24th All Day: Facebook: 500 FREE subscriptions to Net Nanny Filtering Software will be given away on www.facebook.com/pornharms
· Sunday, July 24th at 9 p.m. EDT: Live Facebook/Online Event: "Porn and Sex Abuse In Our Public Libraries"
Over 70 national and state groups are organizing more than 30 events for the campaign that is expected to reach hundreds of thousands of Americans.
In addition to disseminating vital information, Morality in Media will direct addicts and their families to free counseling and subscriptions to Web protection services.
About Morality in Media
Morality in Media, Inc., is the leading national organization focused on opposing pornography and indecency through public education and the application of the law. MIM is leading The War on Illegal Pornography, a coalition of more than 100 national and state groups whose goal is to stop the distribution of illegal pornography. For more information visit www.waronillegalpornography.com, www.pornharms.com, and www.moralityinmedia.org.