Omaha Attorneys Raise Awareness and Support for Life, Family and Religious Liberty
Thomas More Society-Omaha Hosts 5th Annual Fundraiser Banquet
Contact: Tom Ciesielka, TC Public Relations, 312-422-1333, email@example.com
OMAHA, Sept. 15, 2014 /Christian Newswire
/ -- Thomas More Society-Omaha is daily engaged in defending life, family and religious liberty in Midwest courtrooms. The nonprofit public interest law firm hosts its fifth annual fundraiser banquet to support for the organization's pro bono legal work this Thursday evening, September 18, at the St. Robert Bellarmine Mainelli Center in Omaha.
What: "An Evening in Rome," Thomas More Society-Omaha Hosts 5th Annual Fundraiser Banquet
When: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 5:30 p.m. (CENTRAL) reception, 6:30 p.m. (CENTRAL) dinner program
Where: St. Robert Bellarmine Mainelli Center, 11802 Pacific Street, Omaha, NE
• Tom Brejcha, Thomas More Society president and chief counsel
• Clarke Forsythe, author of "Abuse of Discretion: The Inside Story of Roe v. Wade"
• Ed Morse, Thomas More Society-Omaha president
• 2014 Friend of the Thomas More Society Award --Jim Cunningham, executive director of the Nebraska Catholic Conference
• Award for demonstrating outstanding support and tireless work for the mission of Thomas More Society of defending life, marriage, and religious liberty. Three individuals to be named at event
"There is no shortage of work to be done," said Edward Morse, Thomas More Society-Omaha president. "Secular progressives are bent on changing society. Their vision for change usually contradicts our commitments, and they are not afraid to use coercion, threats, and misinformation to achieve their ends. We at Thomas More Society are using our legal work to resist those efforts, while also engaging the culture, seeking to change hearts and minds and to deepen the commitments of those who share our values."
The work of Thomas More Society-Omaha this past year has included:
• …successfully defending Peggy McGinty, a 14-year veteran of peaceful sidewalk counseling in Sioux City, IA, from hollow criminal trespass charges initiated by Planned Parenthood.
• …assisting the 40 Days for Life group in Red Oak, IA by establishing their right to assemble on the public right of way in front of Planned Parenthood after they had been wrongfully forced across the street. That clinic and another in nearby Creston, IA, have since closed.
• …filing a friend-of-the-court brief in the Nebraska Supreme Court in a case involving a challenge to Nebraska laws protecting marriage between one man and one woman. The Court has ruled favorably on technical legal grounds.
• …drafting a friend-of-the-court brief and providing research to Iowa's Attorney General supporting the Iowa Board of Medicine's decision to ban webcam abortions. The trial court has now upheld the ban on these abortions.
The banquet will both celebrate the work that Thomas More Society has been accomplishing and encourage members and supporters to continue giving to the Society's important work.
About the Thomas More Society
Thomas More Society is a national not-for-profit law firm that exists to restore respect in law for life, marriage, and religious liberty. Headquartered in Chicago, the Society fosters support for these causes by providing high quality pro-bono professional legal services from local trial courts all the way to the United States Supreme Court. The Thomas More Society Omaha branch opened in September 2012. For more information, visit www.thomasmoresociety.org.