Contact: Amy Schiska, Religion Newswriters
MEDIA ADVISORY, March 4 /Christian Newswire/ -- Online sign up for Covering Islam 101 as follows:
Covering Islam 101
Date: Wednesday, March 12
Time: 2 p.m. to 3:15 p.m. EDT
What it's about:
From schools and workplaces to government and entertainment, Muslims are influencing life in America as their numbers grow. Whether you report on the war, politics, religion or a metro area, this seminar will help you develop sources, generate story ideas, add context to stories, and report with insight and balance. You'll learn:
· When religion is—and isn't—part of the story
· Major issues facing the diverse Muslim community and what you need to know about the world's second-largest religion
· How to choose words carefully and why some terms and statistics are disputed
· How to report on sensitive issues such as prejudice and terrorism with thoughtfulness and accuracy
· Farid Senzai is a fellow and director of research at the Institute for Social Policy and Understanding, which researches the Muslim community in the United States. He is also an assistant professor of political science at Santa Clara University.
· Andrea Useem is a journalist who specializes in writing about Islam. She writes the religionwriter.com blog and has written for Religion News Service, the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life and other media outlets.
· Diane Connolly is editor of ReligionLink, Religion Newswriters' online resource on religion, public policy and culture. Before ReligionLink was founded six years ago, she was editor or The Dallas Morning News' award-winning religion section.
What's a webinar?
It's a real-time seminar that you experience through your computer. You hear live audio and watch a slideshow presentation. This webinar includes time for Q&A, so you'll be able to post questions to the presenters.
How to sign up:
Register online now here.
More information about webinars:
Is available on Religion Newswriters' website: http://www.rna.org/webinars.php